Saturday, May 5, 2012

1-800 Contacts and a Concussion

Before I go into my concussion story, I will tell my happy 1-800 Contacts story. :)

I have no insurance...that should probably be the title of this post, but I'm going to stick with what I have and see what happens.

With no insurance comes the end of my eye prescription as well as the end of my yearly contact supply.  Naturally I've been wearing the last pair for WAY too long, and I won't even try to think about how long I've over worn those monthlies.  My eyes were really starting to burn every time I put those things in, and I knew it was getting pretty bad.  So, one morning I woke up for work and decided, screw it, I'm doing it.  So I went online to 1-800 Contacts, put in my prescription and was almost done with the whole process when it asked me to input my doctor's info.  Apparently they get a hold of your doctor and verify your prescription...eeek.  In all desperation, I put in my last doctor's name from Austin, and crossed my fingers.

All day long I was sweatin' it out, waiting for the confirmation from 1-800 Contacts, and FINALLY at about 10:15pm, I got a shipping confirmation from them!  Woo!

As happy as I was, when the contacts finally arrived, I noticed one of them was the wrong prescription and was COMPLETELY bummed.  So, I put the contact in thinking it wouldn't make that much of a difference, but it did.  I've worn that contact for 3 days and I'm not gonna lie, I can't see well out of it.  I did, however, call someone the other day to tell them about it and they offered to send me the right prescription.  FIRST they have to check with my doctor to see if it's ok............

Of course I felt in my heart of hearts, I wasn't going to be so lucky my second time around and get CAUGHT for not having an up-to-date prescription.  To end this story, I got a shipping confirmation email from them yesterday so it worked AGAIN.  BOOM.  thanks, 1-800 Contacts!

On to my concussion story...

Thursday night I worked at the Winery and decided I was going to the Meatball Shop with 2 of my friends considering I had a smoothie and a cliff bar for dinner at like 4pm.  It was after midnight and we decided to jump in a cab instead of walking there.  The second we get in the cab and close the door (before we even had time to settle), the cabbie floored it then IMMEDIATELY slammed on his brakes, causing my poor head to slam into that plastic barrier in front of me.  HOLY CRAP it hurt and it felt like my entire head was going to fall off.  Come to find out some douche pulled out in front of us unexpectedly.  Honestly, I still partially blame our cab driver for being a tool and gassing it like an idiot.  Defensive driving, PEOPLE!  So, I had this huge knot on my forehead and even the mark of a screw from that dang plastic thing on my head:(

 I look pretty pathetic, I know...but it hurt:(

BECAUSE I do not have insurance, I didn't want to go to the hospital and shell out a crap ton of money, blah blah blah...instead we go to the Meatball shop and sit.  Obviously, I was in no mood to eat, and only sat there with a home made ice pack the server made me out of a latex glove...

My buddies kept me up at their apt in Queens even though I knew I was scheduled to work a double the next day.  I ended up going to bed at about 4:45am and woke up at 9 to head to work.  With a huge headache and a nice bump on my forehead I set off for work, woozie as all get out.
Get to work, ask to go to the doc and leave...Another cab ride and 3 Duane Reades later, I was told to go to the ER to get checked out.

On the long walk to the ER, I literally walked right through a taping of an SNL skit...Andy Sanburg was out there as well as Seth Meyers...if I wasn't dying of head trauma injuries, I definitely would have been more excited and might have stopped to take pictures.  Instead, I continued my trek to the ER.  I get there, check in, get wheeled to a little room, and wait there for hours.  My homegirl Jen showed up and kept me company for a couple of hours...then FINALLY I get checked out.



Basically, I'm told I probably have a concussion, but she said she didn't think I needed a CAT scan (thank goodness...I'm not paying for that).  All in all, I slept the rest of the day yesterday, and have been in bed since.

I'm alive, and I just can't wait to get that hospital bill....I was planning on buying a temperpedic, but that probably won't happen now.

Happy Cinco de Mayo, mis amigos...I'll be laying here in bed, but at least I'm wearing a Cinco de Mayo t-shirt:)

Love from Brooklyn,

T

No comments:

Post a Comment