Monday, October 17, 2011

Bob Schneider and a "BOOM" Moment.

I just dropped off 24 lbs of laundry at the wash n' fold down the street...I don't think it's a bad idea...considering that would've taken me ALL day to do it myself and a LOT of quarters that I don't have...needless to say, today is my first official NYC laundry day!!!!  wooohoooo!!!  MILESTONES!

Anyway, I am officially PUMMMMPPEEDDD for November 22.  Bob Schneider (a STAPLE on the Austin music scene) is coming to play at work, and I can't wait.  So, in honor of him coming to visit me at work, I downloaded Spotify just so I can listen to all of his albums instead of being crazy and buying them all...times are tough, rent is high, and that's unnecessary.  BOOM.  GO BOB.


What else can I say?  Ummmm, ok.  Back when I was in Spain, I learned, from one of my instructors, this saying that describes someone being "in their groove".  You say, "estoy en mi salsa" when you want to convey your comfort in a place, and that's what I'm starting to feel here.  Now that I'm building up my little social life/scene (if any of you know me, you know how imperative that is in my survival) and getting into my little groove, I'd like to announce..."estoy en mi salsa". 
Funny, in Spain, it was the 2 month mark when I stopped fighting the cultural difference, and that's about the time it's been since I've been in this place.  TECHNICALLY, I've only really been in NYC officially for a few weeks, but since I've been working here since about the time I got here, I guess that's what counts. 
I already have a bday celebration to plan and I'm so excited!  I love planning fun things and getting people together and EVEN as a newbie New Yorker, I'm gonna plan this out right;) 

It's funny how I've been missing home lately, but not in a super sad way.  It's been in a way where I'm ok missing it and everyone there, but I'm pumped about what's happening here.  Yesterday, I went to the church around the corner, and I'm not gonna lie, I was emotional for the first 10 minutes sitting there alone.  I thought of my family, and everyone I missed.  I thought of my sister Dana and how it must have felt for her to be here all alone, so far away from family...it was a wonderful moment, and I felt almost at one with her back when she was here. 

As I have all of these little milestones, I'm finally able to feel her with me, and start understanding what she went through here.  Today I almost felt like I did my freshmen year of college;  so many new things happening around me and wanting to share them with her, but getting hit with the reality that she no longer was just a phone call away. 

Today, I dropped off my first load of laundry at a laundromat and I wanted to call her.  Yesterday I went to the church around the corner and didn't understand half of the mass because it was in Creole, and I wanted to giggle with her about it.  The night before last, I took a 1am train to Brooklyn and watched a very entertaining show where these kids were flipping and dancing on the poles...I wanted to ask her what kinds of things she'd seen in the subway.  I wonder what trains she took, and where she'd been...if she'd seen the same old buildings I see around me now....

I'm finally feeling my purpose here.
 
BOOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment