Thursday, September 29, 2011

"COME ON!"

This girl at work sat down with me to ask me how I was doing and I briefly shared with her how I felt this week. I told her how rough it'd been lately...almost having to sleep on a hallway floor all night, dealing with subway drama/looonnnnngggg commutes, not having keys to my own place, stressing about waking everyone and their dog up to pick me up, or let me in, etc.
It was nice to actually have her share some of her first New York experiences and how hard it was for her when she was first settling in. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed by what's plaguing me that I forget that everyone else has gone through that too...and it's no wonder people are so amazing and willing to help you out if you need a place to stay at night.

She said the thing about New York City is that it's going to "kick your ass", and completely run you into the ground, but if after all of that, you can still say that you like/love it, you're meant to be a New Yorker.

One of my best friends at home in Austin is a personal trainer. She and I met at UT in our personal training classes and have been buddies ever since. Not only is she one of my best friends, she used to make me go work out with her, and after a few years, just started "letting" me work out in her awesome facility.

Now, the kinds of workouts this girl made me do were KILLER. She would "kick my ass" more than I ever have had my behind kicked in any other aspect of my life. There were days that I didn't feel like working out, and she'd make me get out of bed and go work with her. My friend is so hardcore, but sometimes I wonder why she would really get me in there, when she was ALWAYS the busiest person I knew; clients coming in every hour, fundraisers to plan/go to, dinners to be at, parties to attend...and somehow she always made time to work my measly butt out.

I remember many a day, screaming in the gym, or on the rooftop of the parking garage of their building, because I was being worked to my extreme limits...she never let me quit, and the one thing she would always yell at me was, "COME ON!" I just got goosebumps typing that, because I can hear her saying it so clearly now.
Not only did she believe I was better, she knew that I was stronger than what I even believed I was and understood what quitting would do to me.

Before I left for New York City, I asked her if she had any last words of wisdom for me and she said, "you've got this...and don't be stupid."

Exactly what I needed to hear from her...

So, on the bus to New Jersey yesterday for one of the last times before I move in to my new place, I was thinking of my friend...I have been through so much already in these 2 months where I felt I couldn't go any more. When I was sitting on a hallway floor about to cry because it was 2am, I was locked out, and tired, I heard my friend telling me "COME ON!" I immediately stopped, and felt strong and brave.

This post is dedicated to my friend, who I didn't realize how much I would miss her when I was no longer around to pop in anytime I wanted...to my friend who never let me quit, and always believed I was stronger.

I'm blessed to have a friend in my life, that although so far away, I can hear her pushing me loud and clear. New York City is no match for me, and maybe that's what all that training was for...not completely for the physical, but mainly for the mental toughness.

and that, my friends, was my Team Reality Check moment.

HUSTLE UP!!

No comments:

Post a Comment